12.28.2007

My Top 50 of the Year - #40-31

Here's the next cluster. Somehow I ended up with three pop albums from Lawrence, KS in a row, but they all are very deserving.

40. The Shins - Wincing The Night Away
I didn't much like this album at first, but it really grew on me...
Phantom Limb

39. They Might Be Giants - The Else
The last couple of records by the boys just didn't have the same feel to them as before, but they struck back hard with this one. Learn some history and how much the working world sucks.
The Mesopotamians

38. Eisley - Combinations
Not quite as striking as "Room Noises", but still very melodramatic and sweeping.
Invasion on youtube

37. Stars - In Our Bedroom After the War
By far the slightest in their catalog, but when you have a catalog this great, it really isn't a bad thing.
The Night Starts Here

36. Nicole Atkins - Neptune City
Filled with symphonies, slick (but not too slick) production and Stevie Nicks-esque vocals, Neptune City is another album that came out of nowhere for me.
Party's Over

35. Rivers Cuomo - Alone
This is the Rivers I love.
Superfriend onyoutube

34. The Terrible Twos - If You Ever See an Owl...
We didn't have cool kids albums like this when I was a kid - instead of Matt Pryor, I got Alvin and the Chipmunks. I got jipped. The clean melodies make this album great no matter how old you are.
When I Get to Eleven

33. Tanner Walle - The Future of Tape
One of the best produced albums of the year, clever pop music isn't dead - it's just hiding in Lawrence Kansas.
Faultline

32. Dri - Smoke Rings
Slinky and sexy music from Adrienne Verhoven, produced by the cream of the Lawrence crop. This here by ends the Lawrence mini-section.
You Know I Tried

31. Dropkick Murphys - The Meanest Of Times
As blistering as anything the Murphys have put out to date. And get ahold of all the bonus tracks if you can - there's some killer covers in there.
Famous for Nothing on youtube

1 Comments:

Blogger eda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home