5.24.2007

I Didn't Leave!

Well, I've been on one of my cold streaks again lately, so I thought I'd just get caught up to speed with a few songs I've been really diggin' on lately.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Greyboy Allstars - How Glad Am I (with The Living Sisters)
A friend of mine introduced this track to me just a couple of days ago, but I'm already addicted. The funk-jazz group collects together Inara George, Becky Stark (of Lavender Diamond) and Eleni Mandell as the Living Sisters to lay down group vocals on the Nancy Wilson cover. It's just a highly enjoyable romp with a great swing and sway to it. The ladies voices blend well and hopefully this won't be the only time we hear from The Living Sisters. (See video of the ladies perfoming live here)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Neko Case - In California
This song presents longing and lonliness and seperateness more potently than any song I've ever heard. The Lisa Marr cover shines on the EP "Canadian Amp" and is a particularly great showcase for her thick-as-molasses voice.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Tim Armstrong - Into Action (w. Skye Sweetnam???)
This is just a fizzy ska track from the great Rancid frontman's new solo disc, "A Poet's Life". The Skye Sweetnam guest spot is a bit bizarre, but it's a great summer track for the backyard cookouts.
"Into Action" video on Youtube

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sean and Sara Watkins - No Way to Live
This song got an odd placement - on the soundtrack to the new horror flick "Bug". It's there alongside songs by Bryan Tyler, Serj Tarkanian and Scott Weiland...but frankly its an odd song. The harmonies feel incongruent on top of the piano, organ and electronic drums. All in all, its pretty cool tho. Maybe we have more of this to come with the Nickel Creek hiatus after this summer's tour.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Cracker - Eurotrash Girl
This one is reaching back a few years. 1993 to be exact. But the boys in Cracker are coming to the big new venue in Kansas City, The Crossroads, in July and I've already reserved my tickets to go see 'em so I've been going back and getting all caught up. This track is more reserved than their bigger hits, but it highlights the countrier aspects to their tunes. I can't wait to see what they're gonna pull out of their fifteen-year-plus catalog for the show.

Links:
Greyboy Allstars Homepage
The Greyboy Allstars' Myspace Page
The Living Sisters' Myspace Page

Neko Case's Homepage
Neko Case's Myspace Page

Tim Armstrong/Rancid Homepage

Watkins Family Hour Myspace Page

5 Comments:

Blogger Happy In Bag said...

The Greyboy Allstars show last weekend was kind of fun. I think I was the oldest white guy there. What's the deal with all these hippie kids, anyway?

3:35 PM  
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

i was jealous when i read that you got to go to that show! me and several friends all wanted to go, but none of us could. hopefully theyll come thru again. a boy can hope, right?

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Eurotrash Girl song was really fun. Not what I expected, but in a good way. The lyrics were fun, and in an odd way I thnink they were kinda sweet. :)

<3

6:53 AM  
Blogger Thomas B said...

Nice blog, wish I noticed it before my show on KJHK ended...

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I was wondering if you could update the links from your post on Jeff Buckley (http://dontneedanything.blogspot.com/2006/07/rare-jeff-buckley-demos.html)
I would love to get the songs "When the Levee Breaks", "Opened Once", "River of Dope" and "When My Love Comes Down" since I have the other ones you posted. I would really appreciate it!!!!
Thanks so much,
Jessica

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home