7.17.2006

Rare Jeff Buckley Demos

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Seeing Heather's new Buckley post, I felt inspired to go ahead and post these demos that are supposedly rare. I don't know for sure about that, but I do know that I just spent over a half-hour listening to "River of Dope" on repeat.

When the Levee Breaks
We Could Be So Happy (Alt. Version)
Forget Her (Alt. Version)
Opened Once
River of Dope
When My Love Comes Down
Untitled

ALright, so Heather got her friend Lisa to hook us up with some information on these tracks. Here's some of what she had to say:
"To the absolute joy and amazement of many, some of these songs
surfaced, late, this past winter. No one really knows their origin.
The file, that contained the tracks, was entitled "Rarities From NYC."
With the exception of, Forget Her (which was most likely recorded
during the Grace sessions) it's believed that most of the tracks were
recorded, in NYC, early to mid 96.

Then there are the rehearsals and preliminary versions of songs for, My
Sweetheart the Drunk, recorded at Sorcerer, in NYC, in the
summer of 96, with Tom Verlaine, pre Parker Kindred. Then there's some
studio recordings, with Verlaine, after Parker joined on as
well. It's hard to pin them down because they aren't mentioned in
anything that's been written about. One can only speculate.

We don't know who is jamming with Jeff on, Levee (which is a total joy
to hear considering Jeff's love of Zeppelin), or on, We Could
Be So Happy Baby (which is fantastic to be able to hear an arrangement
with a full band). I'm guessing this was recorded before his
4-track version, from his solo sessions, in Memphis that actually ends
up on, My Sweetheart the Drunk. It's just lovely to hear him
pulling the guys through some of these songs like when he sings the
chords "gimmie A,A,A,A,A... in, When My Love Comes Down."

How cool is that!?


ALSO, it appears that, as best as I can tell, that EZarchive does not accept Paypal. Does anyone know a good file server that does?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmygosh!!! I just waltzed over here to say, Hey, hello, Matt, nice thing you've got going here, thanks for sharing the love and all that... and whoa, here we go again... ha!

Makes me wonder what else you have stashed in your Buckley booty (in which case, I mean, goods seized by force).

9:41 PM  
Blogger FoeWeel !!! ??? said...

thanks. here's my contribution

http://foeweel.com/

9:18 PM  
Blogger Bribrannabanana said...

Nice. I LOVE Jeff Buckley. Everything he did musically was just AMAZING.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please re post these tracks? I get an error saying "file not found...."

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like to ask why it is not possible to listen to the Jeff Buckley demos via your website?

I will try again tommorrow but any help regarding this is much appreciated.

Thank you Heaps

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone can help with my quest for finding out more information on Jeff Buckley it would be appreciated. Thank you

6:00 AM  
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

hi anonymous!
those links are all expired and i currently have all my music on a computer without internet access so i cant replace the links right now.
however, for a buckley fix i recommend shooting over to heathers wonderful blog at:
http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/

let me know if theres anything else i can do for you.

7:37 AM  
Blogger tony said...

Great Blog.Best Wishes
Tony.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Rebecca Machalek said...

This man is a tear that hangs inside my soul forever.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home