6.05.2006

This Post Brought to You by the Letter E!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mr. E, Mark Oliver Everett, the front man of Eels, is the man. However, before the Eels came about, E was the solo man.
In 1991, E released his first album, "A Man Called (E)" which was unjustifiably ignored by the general public. It was chock full of charmingly crafted pop songs that could make the most grizzled of men smile. To this day, it remains one of my personal favorite albums. Things looked good for E.
Then, the follow up album, "Broken Toy Shop", despite being quite brilliant as well, was virtually unnoticed. Things started to look bad. E and his label split ways. He was left with no label and two albums which no one knew existed.
Thats when he formed the Eels, and history was written. However, between "Broken Toy Shop" and that inspired formation, E dropped into the KCRW studios and recorded the following session. It includes an early solo piano version of "Beautiful Freak", a Prince cover and a few demos E recorded in his basement. The real treat, however, is the interview segments.

Enjoy!

(By the way, if you know the name of track 2, please let me know. It's killing me.)

E - 01 Talk (KCRW)
E - 02 I Don't Even Know What I'm Looking For (KCRW)
E - 03 Talk (KCRW)
E - 04 Shovel (KCRW)
E - 05 Talk (KCRW)
E - 06 Mental (KCRW)
E - 07 Talk (KCRW)
E - 08 Beautiful Freak (KCRW)
E - 09 When Doves Cry (KCRW)
E - 10 Talk

Bonus:
E - Hello Cruel World

Also, swing by Heather's place for some great Eels live stuff.

5 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

Great post and thanks for the link!

That song is called "I Don't Even Know What I'm Looking For" and is an 8-track demo according to this site:
http://www.eels.nl/1996/eels19940925kcrw.html

8:13 PM  
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

heather, you are full of useful information and links. thanks!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow, this stuff has been a right bugger to download for some reason but i got all the songs and most of the talking. what a fantastic find, just brilliant probably the best and most precious music i've downloaded from a blog this year. thankyou beyond words.
Jaylia Strange

11:31 AM  
Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

sorry about that Jaylia, my current filehost really sucks and has been messing up really bad and im getting a new one. glad you enjoyed it!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey people :)

I'd love to join in discussions about Eels, E and the shows you've all been to but I'm not sure how to go about signing up. Makes me sound like a complete noob I know but can somebody please point me in the right direction? I was dying to listen to the KCRW session that 'don't need anything' posted but the links are deadends. And I don't know how to write to you to ask about this. Any help would be appreciated; this looks like a cool community to be part of. Thanks :)

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home