1.07.2006

Covers Day!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
R.E.M. - Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell Cover)
I've not always been an R.E.M. fan, but once I started looking at the list of covers that they've played over the years I saw that they had great taste in music. They've covered Glen, the Velvet Underground, David Bowie and more recently they've even covered bands like Interpol. I've heard a ton of covers of this song, due to the fact that it has a special place in my heart, and this is one of my favorites.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Natasha Bedingfield - The Scientist (Coldplay Cover)
I am still not a fan of Natasha's. I will admit, however, that her voice is amazing. She could sing barnacles off of the wreck of the Titanic. Of all the covers of this song that I have heard, this one most differentiates itself from the original and most expresses the dep emotion in the lyrics. While Chris Martin's delivery was a bit cold, this one is warm and filled with loss.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Gillian Welch - Black Star (Live) (Radiohead Cover)
I was incredibly worried when Gillian Welch started this song up. How can the meloncholy bluegrass queen tackle a Radiohead song? With brilliance and grace. And one hack of a guitar solo from David Rawlings. It ended up being perfect for her.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Calexico - Rose Parade (Elliott Smith Cover)
There has been a glut of tributes and covers of Elliott's songs lately, so why should this one be any different. This one is great because it doesn't mess with the original. It feels so much like Elliott's that it couldn't go wrong. I love hearing the guys ask for a copy of it at the end too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Happy In Bag said...

The most interesting covers are often dramatic new approaches to a song. But for reasons I can't grasp, that doesn't apply to Elliott Smith. The only way it works is to play it straight with his music- like Calexico does here.

9:00 AM  
Blogger heather said...

Niiice selection.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home